Sunday, June 16, 2013

zibaldone #6


To demarcate space means to set boundaries or limits. There are a number of things that can demarcate space, most of which are physically present like walls or designated paths. But is it possible to demarcate space with something that isn’t visible, something that can’t be touched or interacted with? Our sense of smell helps to do just that.
We can associate certain smells with places, things, and events. For example, one could argue that there is a bakery near by due to the scent of freshly made pastries or baked bread. But can a scent do more than just create boundaries or limits? I believe it can.
Every time I walk by the gas station on my way to Shaw’s, there is the overwhelming scent of gasoline. If I walked past that corner with my eyes closed, it’s obvious that I would be able to guess what type of establishment I was near. But I am convinced the smell you are exposed to can do more than just let you know where you are standing. It allows you to associate that specific smell with an action, which in this case would be the act of fueling a car. Just by scent, I can tell you where I am and what an individual might do here.


No comments:

Post a Comment