Monday, May 20, 2013

Perlroth - Zibaldone 2


I, for one, think the answer to this question solely depends on whether or not someone is aware of his or her surroundings. Think of it this way. You rarely go any where without a basic understanding of the intended destination. Even if you’ve never been there before, you still know the name and what to expect at your final destination, to a certain extent anyway. Say someone has never been to New York City. How did they originally find out about this place? It could have been in a recently watched film, in a book, or on television. No matter where they found the information, they now have a general understanding on how to identify the city. Massive buildings, the statue of liberty, or maybe even a sign saying, “Welcome to New York City,” gave it away. The point that I am trying to make is that the answer to this question is obvious if you just pay attention.
            I knew I was in the Yale University Art Gallery, not only because the name was on the side of the building, but also because I paid attention. I knew there was a centrally located spiral stair, I knew of the iconic concrete tetrahedrons that made up the ceiling. Once I walked up those stairs and once I looked at the ceiling, I knew I was there and not somewhere else. It’s that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment