Monday, May 20, 2013

Zibaldone Due -Punctual Jon Stras


I know I am in Boston because of Fenway Park. Before the invention of the pink hat, before the bleeding sock in 2004, when the entire town hated the Yankees, I was a Red Sox fan. For my 12th birthday, my mom brought my two sisters, 4 of my friends, and I to Fenway Park for a game (way too many kids for one adult). We took the T, and all of us children tried to surf on it (stand without holding on). The T smelled horrible, but we loved every second of the adventure, we got off at Kendall, and followed the mass of sox fans to find our way. I’ll never forget the smells on Landsdown of the sausage vendors, the sound of the turnstile as we head in, eyes wide in amazement, the sounds of peanut shells cracking under sneakered feet, the drunken fans heckling the opposing outfielders. I even had a beer spilled on me from a heckler, I loved it. I was literally covered in the attitude of the Fenway Park bleachers.
            No matter where I go, if I can see the Citgo sign, a Yankees sucks T-shirt, or a big red B in a window, I know I’m in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment